Singapore Shares, Singapore Stocks, SGX, STI and More - PuntersGallery.Com

Go Back   Singapore Shares, Singapore Stocks, SGX, STI and More - PuntersGallery.Com > Traders Central > Traders in Punters Gallery

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 30-Jul-2013, 11:39 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Iszzit... how come u can read that I can't
Thank you Princess & yren. I don't mean CFD. You mean if using CFD can specify?

Hi Princess, you mean the 2lots that I bought will become $1.50 each. No long is $1 & $2? So whether I sell 1lot or 2lots it will base on $1.50?
Thks.

Old 30-Jul-2013, 11:43 PM
TPG GURU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner View Post

Hi Princess, you mean the 2lots that I bought will become $1.50 each. No long is $1 & $2? So whether I sell 1lot or 2lots it will base on $1.50?
Thks.
How you want to account for it in your books, is entirely up to you......
Old 30-Jul-2013, 11:47 PM
TPG GURU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner View Post

Thks.
Since u are a beginner...

Go to the trading thread and read all the articles...

It will do u a lot of good

Listen only to Mr Market
Trade with TA and invest with FA
Don't hate a stock and never fall in love with a stock

It is not when u buy that matters but when u sell that counts
Taking profits is not a sin, but it is a cardinal sin to allow profits to turn into a loss

XFactor Trading Aims and Rules Trading Acroynms
Old 30-Jul-2013, 11:51 PM
TPG GURU!

Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI)-DJI
15,550.00 +28.03(0.18%) 11:48AM EDT

Listen only to Mr Market

Taking profits is not a sin, but it is a cardinal sin to allow profits to turn into a loss

Old 30-Jul-2013, 11:51 PM
Newbie Member

Hi Xfactor & Newcastle, thank you very much. I will spend time look thru
Old 31-Jul-2013, 12:01 AM
TPG GURU!

BLASPHEMY
[UPDATE on 30 July: Adding details about when Kong could have delivered his sermon]

This is outrageous

My whole school life was in a Catholic school.I have been taught that - THOU SHALL NOT USE THE NAME OF GOD in VAIN

City Harvest Church founder and senior pastor Kong Hee has found his way in controversy again — this time for a comment he made in what appeared to be a sermon at a church conference held in Australia last year.

In a video posted on YouTube by user anointedforworship on Sunday, Kong, who is accused of criminal breach of trust and misappropriating church building funds, claimed that God apologised to him for his struggles.

"'Father, Father, why, my God, my God, why have you forsaken me and thrown me to the dogs?'" he was recorded as saying, after relating the experience of Jesus Christ on the cross at his crucifixion and sharing that he identified with that kind of suffering.

"For the first time in eight months, God, I heard Him cry. And he said 'My son, Kong, thank you. Thank you for going through this. I need you to go through this alone, so that you and City Harvest Church can be the man and the ministry I call it to be. I'm so sorry, but you need to go through this by yourself, to bring a change to your generation,” Kong said.

Applause was heard from the congregation, and Kong continued, "I hear God saying for the first time in eight months, 'I love you, I love you, I love you’. Waves upon waves of God's love, the love of the father just saturated me… and I know everything's going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right.”

Watch the video here:

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 12:19 AM
TPG GURU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader5 View Post
closed 26 cents....vol over 14m...
Down on 5.3m to close at 22 cents after hitting a low of 21

Support at 21

Watch the important support at 20

A break of 20 may see 19 cents again

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
No need to chase...

Over overbought...

Let gravity takes its course

May pullback to 24

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 12:20 AM
TPG GURU!

Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI)-DJI
15,527.83 +5.86(0.04%) 12:18PM EDT

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 01:01 AM
Pioneer Member

S&P
+3.33
+0.20%

Dow
+15.35
+0.10%

Nasdaq
+24.80
+0.69%
Old 31-Jul-2013, 06:21 AM
TPG GURU!

S&P
+0.63
+0.04%

Dow
-0.01%

Nasdaq
+17.33
+0.48%

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The S&P 500 and Nasdaq ended higher on Tuesday, lifted by gains in the technology sector, while potash shares were the day's big losers.

The tech sector index (.SPLRCT) rose 0.7 percent, leading the S&P 500's advance. Facebook's stock (FB.O) jumped 6.2 percent to close at $37.63, within striking distance of its $38 IPO price. The stock - the most actively traded on Nasdaq - rose as much as 7 percent to a session high of $37.96. Facebook's stock has gained 42 percent since the company reported blowout quarterly results last Wednesday.

Pfizer, a Dow component, gained 0.4 percent to $29.67 after the largest U.S. drugmaker reported earnings that slightly exceeded expectations. Cost controls helped Pfizer's bottom line. The company also has lined up a business split that could lead to the spinoff of its generics division.

At the same time, Mosaic Co's (MOS) stock was among the biggest drags on the S&P 500, sinking 17.3 percent to $43.81 after Russia's Uralkali (URKA.ME) dismantled one of the world's largest potash partnerships by pulling out of a venture with its partner in Belarus, a move it expects will drive global prices down 25 percent.

The shakeup in the potash sector pushed shares of Intrepid Potash (IPI) down 28.6 percent to $13.89. U.S-traded shares of Potash Corp (POT) slid 16.5 percent to $31.63 and Agrium (AGU) fell 5.4 percent to $86.50.

Investors also were cautious ahead of the Wednesday statement from the Federal Reserve, which is expected at the end of a two-day policy meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee. Investors will scrutinize the statement for any additional hints of when the central bank may begin to pare its $85 billion a month in bond purchases.

"I think the markets are hoping (Fed Chairman Ben) Bernanke doesn't rock the boat with comments that are different than he's given over the last month or so," said Michael Sheldon, chief market strategist at RDM Financial in Westport, Connecticut.

The Dow Jones industrial average (^DJI) dipped 1.38 points, or 0.01 percent, to end at 15,520.59. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index (^GSPC) eked out a gain of just 0.63 of a point, or 0.04 percent, to finish at 1,685.96. The Nasdaq Composite Index (^IXIC) rose 17.33 points, or 0.48 percent, to 3,616.47.

Shares of Verizon Communications (VZ), down 2.1 percent at $50.42, were the biggest drag on the Dow.

After the bell, shares of Symantec (SYMC) gained 4.5 percent to $25.45. The company, which makes Norton anti-virus software, posted better-than-expected quarterly results. An increase in hacking attacks led businesses to spend more on Symantec's security and data storage products.

The day's earnings news was mixed overall. Occidental Petroleum Corp (OXY) shares fell 2.4 percent to $88.32 after the company reported a smaller-than-expected quarterly profit, hurt by lower oil prices in the Middle East and North Africa.
Coach Inc (COH) shares dropped 7.9 percent to $53.30 after the leather goods maker reported soft sales at its North American stores and disclosed the departures of two more executives amid a flurry of recent changes in top management.

In contrast, Goodyear Tire & Rubber's stock (GT.O) stock rose 8.9 percent to $18.56 after setting a nearly five-year high of $19.60. The company reported that its quarterly profit more than doubled, citing lower raw material costs and stabilizing sales in Europe as major reasons for its jump in net income.

Mobile service provider Sprint Corp (NYS:S) posted a wider quarterly loss on costs from shutting down its Nextel network, but revenue grew as customers spent more on wireless services. Sprint's stock leaped 7.3 percent to $6.16.

More companies continued to beat earnings expectations compared with revenue forecasts. With results in from 60 percent of the S&P 500 companies, 67.4 percent have exceeded earnings expectations - in line with the average beat over the last four quarters. About 55 percent of companies have topped revenue expectations, more than the 48 percent of revenue beats in the past four earnings seasons but below the historical average, Thomson Reuters data showed.

Volume was roughly 5.89 billion shares traded on the New York Stock Exchange, the Nasdaq and the NYSE MKT, below the average daily closing volume of about 6.4 billion this year.

Advancers were about even with decliners on the NYSE, with about 15 stocks rising for every 14 that fell. On the Nasdaq, about 13 stocks advanced for every 12 that declined.

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 06:21 AM
Pioneer Member

S&P ekes out gain, Nasdaq sets fresh 12-year high; FB closes below $38

MARKETS, DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE, S&P 500 INDEX, NASDAQ COMPOSITE INDEX, PRE-MARKETS, MERCK & CO INC, AMGEN INC, AFLAC INC, SYMANTEC CORP, TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE INC, FACEBOOK, APPLE INC, AETNA INC, UNITEDHEALTH GROUP INC, WELLPOINT INC, MOSAIC CO, POTASH CORPORATION OF SASKATCHEWAN INC, AGRIUM INC, COMMUNITY HEALTH SYSTEMS INC, HEALTH MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATES INC, JPMORGAN CHASE AND CO, BUSINESS NEWS
CNBC.com | Tuesday, 30 Jul 2013 | 5:13 PM ET

The Dow and S&P 500 closed near the flatline Tuesday as investors remained cautious ahead of the Federal Reserve's policy statement, but techs climbed to lift the Nasdaq to a fresh 12-year high.

(Read more: After-hours buzz:Amgen, Aflac, Symantec & More)

The Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 1.38 points to finish at 15,520.59, dragged by Verizon and AT&T.

The S&P 500 eked out a gain of 0.63 points to close at 1,685.96. The Nasdaq rose 17.33 points to end at 3,616.47, logging its highest close in nearly 12 years.

The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX), widely considered the best gauge of fear in the market, closed unchanged above 13.

Among key S&P sectors, telecoms dragged, while techs finished higher.

Among techs, Facebook advanced more than 6 percent after the social-networking giant announced the launch of Facebook Mobile Games Publishing, a "pilot program to help small and medium-sized developers take their mobile games global." The stock has surged more than 45 percent so far this month and is trading close to its IPO price of $38 a share.

(Read more: Facebook nearing its IPO price. Here's why)

And Apple rose above $450 a share for the first time in over a month. The stock has soared nearly 14 percent so far this month and is having its best month since last February.

On the earnings front, Pfizer gained after the U.S.'s largest drugmaker posted numbers that were slightly ahead of expectations. Rival pharmaceutical company Merck topped profit expectations but showed weakness on revenue.

And BP posted earnings that missed analysts' expectations, but warned that its $20 billion oil-spill compensation fund has almost run out. Following the earnings report, CEO Bob Dudley told CNBC that class action lawsuits like the ones BP is facing in the U.S. are a "business model" that serve only to benefit attorneys. Shares declined.
Aetna posted better-than-expected quarterly results, following similar earnings beats by larger rivals UnitedHealth and WellPoint.

With quarterly results in from nearly 60 percent of the S&P 500 companies, 67 percent have beaten earnings expectations—in line with the average beat over the last four quarters. Meanwhile, about 55 percent of the companies have beaten revenue expectations, more than the 48 percent of revenue beats in the past four earnings seasons, according to the latest data from Thomson Reuters.

If all remaining companies report earnings in line with estimates, earnings will be up 4 percent from last year's second quarter.

(Read more: What earnings seasonis saying about road ahead)

Amgen, Aflac, Symantec and Take Two Interactive are among notable companies scheduled to report after the closing bell.

But trading volume is likely to be muted again as investors look ahead to the statement from Federal Reserve's policy-setting meeting. In addition, the first reading of second-quarter gross domestic product will be due Wednesday. And the closely-watched July employment report will be reported Friday.

The Fed is expected to maintain its accommodative monetary policy, but investors will be looking for hints on when the central bank might start scaling back on its monthly bond-buying program. In addition, markets will also be eager for hints for who may replace Ben Bernanke next year as Fed Chairman.

(Read more: Fed expectations: will they stay or will they slow?)

"It's a pivotal time for Fed policy, and it would be advantageous to have someone at the helm who had already gone through the analytical process of getting comfortable with the last five years of policy, rather than coming in with a completely clean slate and trying to potentially reinvent it," said Ian Lyngen, senior Treasury strategist at CRT Capital.

(Read more: Fed intrigue, not policy, has market attention)

On the economic front, single-family home prices rose 1 percent in May on a seasonally adjusted basis, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller composite index of 20 metropolitan areas. Economists polled by Reuters expected a gain of 1.5 percent. Meanwhile, consumer confidence slipped slightly to a reading of 80.3 in July from an upwardly revised 82.1 in June, according to the Conference Board. Economists surveyed by Reuters expected a reading of 81.1.

Mosaic plunged nearly 20 percent after Russia's Uralkali pulled out of a venture with its partner in Belarus, a move it expects will cause global prices to plunge by 25 percent. Uralkali and Belarus potash maker Belaruskali were partners for eight years in BPC, which accounts for 43 percent of the global potash export market. Shares of Potash and Agrium also tumbled sharply.

Community Health Systems announced it would acquire smaller Health Management Associates in a $3.9 billion deal. Shares of both company finished in the red following the news.

JPMorgan closed lower after the banking giant said it would pay a total of $410 million to settle allegations of energy market manipulation in California and the Midwest.
The Japanese yen weakened against the dollar to above the 98-level in early trade, leading the export-heavy Nikkei index to rally 1.5 percent. Meanwhile, South Korea's Kospi added 0.9 percent and the Shanghai Composite traded within sight of the 2,000 mark.

European shares rose after an upbeat German consumer confidence report. The Gfk research institute said its forward-looking consumer index hit its highest level since September 2007, thanks to an improving labor market and expectations for more robust economic growth.

—By CNBC's JeeYeon Park (Follow JeeYeon on Twitter: @JeeYeonParkCNBC)

On Tap This Week:
WEDNESDAY: MBA mortgage applications, ADP employment report, GDP, employment cost index, Chicago PMI, oil inventories, FOMC mtg announcement, farm prices, Booz Allen Hamilton investor call, Electronic Arts shareholder mtg; Earnings from Comcast, Honda, MasterCard, Hess, Humana, Sodastream, Allstate, CBS, Marriott, MetLife, Whole Foods, Dreamworks Animation, Yelp

THURSDAY: Challenger job-cut report, jobless claims, PMI manufacturing index, ISM mfg index, construction spending, natural gas inventories, Fed balance sheet/money supply, auto sales, JCPenney vs. Martha Stewart closing arguments, Michael Kors shareholder mtg, Motorola Moto X launch; Earnings from AstraZeneca, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, P&G, Royal Dutch Shell, Barrick Gold, Cigna, Clorox, Time Warner Cable, AIG, Kraft Foods, LinkedIn, Leap Wireless

FRIDAY: Nonfarm payrolls, personal icome & outlays, factory orders, Congress breaks for summer, Dell shareholders mtg, Detroit bankruptcy hearing; Earnings from Chevron, Toyota, Viacom

What's Trending on CNBC.com:
Why China risks falling into Japan-style economic coma
Wal-Mart's Washington showdown over wage law
Markets focused on Fed policy? Nope, it's on this
© 2013 CNBC.com
URL: http://www.cnbc.com/100924369
Old 31-Jul-2013, 07:57 AM
TPG Loyalist Member

31 July 2013

IG Morning Brief

STI (60 MIN)

One scenario: as long as 3205 is a support, we are bullish with a target at 3312.

Alternative scenario: a break below 3205 would invalidate our bullish scenario. The index could then decline to 3172.

HANG SENG (60 MIN)

One scenario: as long as 21740 is support, we are bullish. In this case, the upside breakout of 22185 will trigger a bullish acceleration towards 22465.

Alternative scenario: only the downside breakout of 21740 will invalidate our bullish scenario. In this case, a decline should shape towards 21525.

DOW JONES (60 MIN)

One scenario: as long as 15400 is a support, a rise towards 15610 and even 15720 seems likely.

Alternative scenario: a downside breakout of 15400 would open the way to 15240.

NIKKEI 225 (60 MIN)

One scenario: as long as 14375 is a resistance, a decline towards 13600 and even 13215 seems likely.

Alternative scenario: a break above 14375 would open the way to 14530.

SINGAPORE
The Straits Times index rebounded on Tuesday. After the market close, around 63% of the index constituents were above their 20D MA (unchanged from Monday), and around 60% of the shares were above their 50D MA (vs 57%).

Global Palm Resources (GPR) said it expects 2Q net income to fell substantially QoQ and YoY, pointing out: "The weaker than expected financial performance for the above periods is attributable to lower revenue recognition."

Lion Asiapac (LAP) projected a 4Q loss citing an impairment loss.

HONG KONG
CHINA - HK
The HANG SENG index rose 0.48% on Tuesday. After the market close, 79% of the index constituents were above their 20D MA (vs 81% on Monday), and 47% of the shares were above their 50D MA (vs 44%). In Mainland China, the CSI300 cash index rebounded 62% on the same day. After the market close, 28% of the index constituents were above their 20D MA (vs 26% on Monday), and 15% of the shares were above their 50D MA (unchanged from Monday).
FOREIGN EXCHANGE

US Dollar was firm against most of its major counterparts on Tuesday. On the economic data front, the S&P/Case-Shiller index of property values rose 12.17% YoY (+12.40% expected) in May. The Conference Board's index of sentiment fell to 80.3 (81.3 expected) in July from 82.1 the previous month.

The Euro was mixed against its major counterparts. In euro-zone, consumer confidence index increased to -17.4 in July vs -17.7 in June. In Germany, consumer prices were 0.5% in July after a 0.1% gain the month before. Economists expected a 0.3% increase. Still in Germany, GfK consumer confidence survey was 7 for August, a new high since October 2007, vs 6.8 for July and 6.9 anticipated by the consensus.

COMMODITIES
After the close of Wall Street, WTI Crude Future (SEP 13) was down $1.5 to $103.06. The contract was below its 20D MA (@ $104.83) and above its 50D MA (@ $99.28).

Gold was about flat to $1326.3. The precious metal was above its 20D MA (@ $1290) and above its 50D MA (@ $1325).

Copper Future (SEP 13) on Comex was down 6.6c to 304.15c/lb. The contract was below its 20D MA (@ 313.52c) and below its 50D MA (@ 319.42c). In Europe, the London Metal Exchange reported its copper inventories decreased 5225 tons to 613550 tons.
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:10 AM
TPG GURU!

5 Phillip Securities employees charged with fraud
發! 發! 發!
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:15 AM
TPG GURU!

Today we may see month end window dressing......or perhaps undressing

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:16 AM
TPG Mentor Member

bigben / bigtux thanks for the dinner last night
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:21 AM
TPG GURU!

Soilbuild to offer Reit at 77-80 cents a unit
發! 發! 發!
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:21 AM
TPG GURU!

LionGold plans to raise $100m, eyes spin-offs, stake sales
發! 發! 發!
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:29 AM
TPG GURU!

Quote:
Today we may see month end window dressing......or perhaps undressing

Good Morning xfactor, calvin, kjames & all
have a joyful day &
trade, invest wisely

發! 發! 發!
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:37 AM
TPG GURU!

nikkei - 221
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:40 AM
TPG Super Loyalist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propertyagent View Post
bigben / bigtux thanks for the dinner last night
bigben no at dinner last night

Woo lui woo lui Wa jing woo lui
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:45 AM
Pioneer Member

why are all the banks matching so low now??

dbs 15.99
uob 20.70
ocbc 9.90

today is last day of the month? window dress down?

http://www.puntersgallery.com/showpo...6&postcount=78

Last edited by cbkia; 31-Jul-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:49 AM
TPG Mentor Member

good morning fellow forummers
wish all good trading..

The key to making money in stocks is not to get scared out of them.

To invest wisely, it is necessary to become aware of all the temptations to behave foolishly.

You can never predict when that unknown torpedo will come out of the dark and smash the price of a stock.
Old 31-Jul-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkia View Post
why are all the banks matching so low now??

dbs 15.99
uob 20.70
ocbc 9.90

today is last day of the month? window dress down?
how's the show last night

Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:01 AM
TPG Loyalist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
bigben no at dinner last night

Thank to dinner, bigtux....
thank to shifu fetching.....
Thank to Princess organize....
Thank to all attendee time to build the gathering.....

it does not seek its own, is not provoked,
does not take into account a wrong suffered,
does not rejoice in unrighteousness...........
Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:04 AM
TPG Mentor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post

Thank to dinner, bigtux....
thank to shifu fetching.....
Thank to Princess organize....
Thank to all attendee time to build the gathering.....

yup yup thx to all who attended

n

big Thx to bigtux for the dinner

Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:10 AM
TPG GURU!

Freight links..breakout...11.7

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:19 AM
TPG GURU!

Quote:
Freight links..breakout...11.7
FrTliks certainly at this level is quite over bought....

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:20 AM

LCD cheong high volume.... means what.. got good news har

Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:23 AM
TPG GURU!

Unionmet...

Hit a high of 11.2 gostan...to 107..+ 1

Rolling again?

Listen only to Mr Market

Old 31-Jul-2013, 09:25 AM
TPG GURU!

Dukang...down 1 to 45

Listen only to Mr Market

Closed Thread